Saturday, April 18, 2009

Mountains I Conquered this weekend

For those who really know me I've always HATED running. I'm more of an aerobics girl/ or dancer, but running - no way! So 13 weeks ago my brother Tom TELLS me that I'm running in a 1/2 Marathon. I laughed! Well today I did it!! WE DID IT!! Tom- Jessy - Stefanie & Me! I am so proud of us all, I cried! I can't believe how wonderful it feels to be over that mountain- I now really enjoy running and would like to do this again! Here are some pics from the end of the race. Tom-- thanks for the challenge! Jessy-- thanks for pushing me! Stef--thanks for being my running partner! Without you I would not have been able to get up at 6am and run in the snow to get ready for this-- you are my rock! I love you all!



So for my other MOUNTAIN--- it may not seem like a mountain to most of you, but for me, it was! Coleton had his first Boy Scout Overnighter. At first you think, go and have fun -- but then you start remembering all the stories on the news of boys who get lost or get dragged out of their tents by a bear, and then you start realizing how short life is and how important it is to make every moment matter. And then you DON"T want them to leave. I couldn't let Coleton see me crying, I had to be strong. But the moment I dropped him off I couldn't hold it in any longer. I know if I didn't have the race this morning I would have convinced Rob that we needed to go camping (and just happen to be in the same area :P) But Coleton is getting older and I had to let go and that was a big thing for me! He's home safe and sound and had a really good time. I'm thankful all went well, I love him very much! I feel like a stronger person and know that it will be easier the next time!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Congrats Shan!!! I totally admire that - you're amazing and you inspire me to get off my duff.... someday.

fivewalkers said...

You ROCK! I will totally start running with you now the weather is warming up. Congrats to you! I totally feel the same way about my boys and going on the scouting trips. We can go through it together. :-)